Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Offering an Expression of Thankfulness

I am participating in the "Read Through the Bible in a Year" plan along with many others at Calvary Baptist Church.  Currently, in the Old Testament readings, we are in the book of Leviticus.  The subject matter has been regulations around particular offerings.  I have to be honest and admit that this wasn't particularly inspiring.  However, God gave me something special in the midst of all the sin and guilt sacrifices...offering an expression of thankfulness.

In Leviticus chapter 7:  

11 “‘These are the regulations for the fellowship offering anyone may present to the Lord:
12 “‘If they offer it as an expression of thankfulness, then along with this thank offering they are to offer thick loaves made without yeast and with olive oil mixed in, thin loaves made without yeast and brushed with oil, and thick loaves of the finest flour well-kneaded and with oil mixed in. 13 Along with their fellowship offering of thanksgiving they are to present an offering with thick loaves of bread made with yeast.

I was basically "skim" reading and I almost missed it...  bread with yeast!  "Now that's different," I said to myself.  "All the offerings I'd read about that had to do with bread were without yeast...until now."

The reason it jumped out to me...the reason it became a personal, intimate moment with God, is that on that particular day I was baking bread.    

Saturday mornings have become a time of baking bread for me whenever I get the chance.  The aroma of the yeast as the dough rises...it makes my mouth water just thinking about it!  I usually cut a thick slice off the end of the hot, crusty loaf fresh out of the oven, add real butter and honey, and relish the sensory experience of it all for a short while.

That day, as I read about offering an expression of thankfulness with a loaf of bread made with yeast I became thankful myself.  I began counting my blessings.  I focused on what was good in life.  I found a simple reminder in the midst of that "dry" scripture in Leviticus that "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." (2 Timothy 3:16).

Darla


 

3 comments:

  1. I have found that some of the books I had previously overlooked like Zechariah have some great things if you are listening. Thanks for sharing your thoughts sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful blog!! I love how you write Darla! :) Awesome how God used your baking bread moments to make your bible study come alive and really minister to you! I know when Kelsey and I came to deliver your gs cookies the baking aroma in your home was very inviting! Nothing like baking to give you time to unwind from the hectic, busy week and reflect on God's blessings!-Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was beautiful. keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete